Program Documents

The team at United Work and Travel has fully trained, accredited, and contracted third party overseas partners to assist with all home country paperwork, screenings, and processing. You are never alone in this experience with us! Please review the following information about the required documents you will need prior to your arrival to the United States.

  • Valid Passport
  • Completed Cover Letter (View Sample)
  • Signed and Dated Program Terms and Conditions
  • Completed Proof of Student Status Document (for J-1 Intern Program)
  • Diploma or Certificate and Proof of Experience (for J-1 Trainee Program)
  • DS 7002 Training Plan
  • Interview/Screening Approval
  • Signed Participant Responsibilities
  • Proof of Eligibility
  • Copies of all Previous USA Entry Visas
  • Proof of Sufficient Funds
  • Typed Resume with Photo (View Sample)

Documents Needed for United States Entry
When you first arrive in the United States, be sure to have the following documents readily available to you:

1.) DS 2019 Form

This document is issued by your program sponsor.

2.) I-94 Card












This is a U.S. government entry/departure record number that is electronically assigned to you upon entrance to the USA. You may need access to this number throughout your program. Click here for additional information on how to access this information.

3.) Valid Passport

Please make sure that when you are processing your arrival through U.S. immigration that you cooperate fully and are very respectful towards the officers.

The immigration officer will take your passport and visa forms and examine them. Then, he/she will return the forms to you. Keep these forms – along with your passport – in a safe place for the length of your stay in the United States. Please do not leave the airport without all of your documents and request the officer to please call your program sponsor, American Pool Enterprises, Inc. with any issues.

4.) DS 7002 Form












Applying for a Social Security Card
In order to work in the United States, you must apply for and receive a social security number from the Social Security Administration. In order to receive your social security number, you will first need to complete your program check-in within 72 hours of arrival to the USA. Program check-in should be completed by going to your student account or calling our office during business hours. Within seven to ten days after your successful program check-in, you will then need to go to the nearest Social Security Office to apply.

It is imperative that you bring a document OVER ONE YEAR OLD with you to the USA! The Social Security Administration requires at least one document to be over one year old in order to receive a social security number. This document can be a passport, a birth certificate, or international driver’s license. The document must be in English; however, if it is not, your country’s consulate may be able translate it. It is better to be prepared! We recommend that this be taken care of before arriving in the U.S. because not every country has an embassy in Washington, D.C.

By January 31, you should receive a W-2 form from your employer(s). This form states how much money you earned during your time in the U.S. and how much money in taxes were taken out of your paychecks. If you do not receive a W-2 form by February 15, please contact your employer’s human resources office and ask them to email this document to you.

In order to get any tax money back, you must fill out the proper federal and state tax forms (1040 EZ NR) which can be found at Federal and state tax returns are due by April 15 every year.

United Work and Travel works exclusively with for student tax returns. offers a tax back service for your convenience at a very fair and reasonable rate. When you fill out your information, be sure to put United Work and Travel’s name where it asks who referred you.